Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Best Butternut Squash Recipe EVER!

Ok I MAY have overstated the title of this post.  But while home in Kansas City a few weeks ago, my Mom made a great butternut squash soup.  Waaaaay better than the recipe I made last year.

I took her recipe and tried it out for myself, and yes, it's a keeper.  Thought I should share!


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

~from the kitchen of Cherrie Lucas


  • 3 to 4 lbs butternut squash, peeled and seeded
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 2 apples (any kind, my Mom used McIntosh, I used Honeycrisp)
  • 3 T good olive oil
  • Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 4 C chicken stock
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut squash, onions and apples into 1 inch cubes.  Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, 1tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Divide between two sheet pans and spread in a single layer.  Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until very tender.

Here are is what your veggies will look like after roasting.....and the house will smell SO good!



When veggies are done, put in a food processor, adding some chicken stock, and coarsely puree.  Place in a large pot and add enough stock to make a thick soup.  Add curry, 1tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Serve hot some some yummy bread!



1 comment:

  1. Nom nom nom!!! That sounds delish - I love a butternut squash and curry combo. You have to try MY favey fave butternut squash recipe - http://www.toledoblade.com/frontpage/2005/01/18/Butternut-Squash-and-Pecan-Gratin-with-Goat-Cheese.html

    It's a gratin with goat cheese and toasted pecans, and I only make it during the holidays because it also has 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. SO. GOOOOOOD.

    ReplyDelete