One of my new mommie friends I've made through Griffin's pre-school shared her recipe with me - and at their house they call it a 'shakey.' I like a lot about the Shakey - it tastes great, is easy to make, and is super healthy. You can make any number of substitutions, just like with any smoothie, but here is how we make it:
- 1 C Almond Milk
- handful of frozen blueberries or frozen mixed berries
- handful of frozen spinach
- 1 T flaxseed oil or flaxseed meal (for texture-sensitive toddlers/kids go with the oil, however I will say Griffin doesn't bat an eye with the flaxseed meal)
- 1/2 C chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 banana
Blend all ingredients in your blender or Ninja Master Prep (this is what I use for all smoothies and soups - I completely sing its praises, let me tell you) and serve!
Some ideas to add in or change things up......
- frozen kale
- green barley powder
- chia powder or seeds
- soy milk (i'd use vanilla) if you're allergic to almonds
- the sky is the limit!