Monday, March 14, 2011

Smoothie kick

I'm totally on a smoothie kick these days.

I have completely been inspired by my girlfriend Erin who has decided to eat a raw food diet for an entire year! Seriously, talk about dedication. Eating raw is SO good for you; the health benefits are numerous.

I have been doing smoothies for breakfast and lunch for a few weeks now, and trying to eat a healthy vegetable-heavy dinner as well. I've been learning a heck of a lot about how to do this via Erin's blog, Raw for a Reason. You must stop by if you are at all interested......she has some fantastic recipes on there that you would honestly be surprised by! I have surprised myself by really loving these, and so has my family.

Here is a yummy smoothie that is so good and good for you....I'll try to share more as I find more!

Kale-apple smoothie

Time: 5 min
Serves 1, so double if you are making for your kiddos too!

Ingredients:
3/4C chopped kale (thick stems removed)
1 small stalk celery (chopped)
1/2 banana
1/2 cup 100% apple juice
1/2 c ice
1 T fresh lemon juice

Blend until smooth and frothy!

And here is my husband's favorite, and my son's too....

Strawberry Flax Smoothie

Time: 5 min
Serves 1, so double if making for kids too!

Ingredients:
1 C frozen strawberries
3/4 C plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 C fresh orange juice
1 T honey
1 T flax seed meal

Blend until smooth and frothy!

Note:  this one does not qualify as 'raw' b/c of the milk......so maybe instead of milk do almond milk or coconut water??

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so impressive! That sounds awesome, but I would have such a hard time doing that for a full year... I'd Love to do more of that though! I've been wanting to start taking those wheat grass shots from Jamba Juice. Baby steps...

    Hope you have a wonderful Monday!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA Mollie!!!! So glad you love them ... ! YUMMY in my tummy as I say! You are doing a great thing for your body and thanks for sharing with your blog lovers!!

    ReplyDelete